|Type||Short duration, full-time|
|Nominal duration||5 days intensive|
High school / secondary education (or higher)
The five-day programme introduces the philosophy and methodology of psychology and counselling from an Islamic perspective to mental health professionals and interested students. The course will present a theoretical understanding of mental health based on Islamic paradigm as well as suggest practical ways of working with mentally distressed individuals. Those who successfully complete the programme will be rewarded with a Certificate in Counseling from an Islamic Theoretical Orientation, presented by both IZU and the International Association of Islamic Psychology (IAIP).
The programme will take place from Monday, 23 July to Friday, 27 July 2018. The course will be led by instructors Professor Malik Badri, Professor Rasjid Skinner, and Abdallah Rothman who will deliver the material in a combination of lecture, discussion, experiential learning, and some evening dialogue sessions. In addition to the sessions that will take place at IZU Campus there will be a full-day field trip to Edirne to visit the Ottoman Dar al Shifa at the Sultan Bayezid II Health Museum. There will also be a one-day optional trip around Istanbul on Saturday July 28, as an ending to the programme.
By the end of the programme, participants will be able to:
● Distinguish culturally relative factors from universal factors in Western psychology.
● Identify and describe Islamic models of the self.
● Describe the therapeutic relationship from an Islamic perspective.
● Identify therapeutic aims and objectives of Islamic psychology/counselling.
● Identify a range of Islamic perspectives on mental health diagnosis.
● Describe Western approaches to therapy and their applicability to Muslims.
● Apply Islamic psychological principles in diagnosis and treatment using case studies.
The program includes:
- 40 hours of lectures by:
- Prof. Dr. Malik BADRI
- Professor Rasjid SKINNER
- Abdallah Rothman
- Field trip to Edirne City on 25 July, Wednesday
- Programme Completion Certificate
Fees and Packages
$750 Tuition fee including Edirne field trip
$1000 Includes tuition, Edirne field trip, accommodation and dining
Note: Optional Istanbul City trip on 28 July, September is not included in any of the packages.
- Day 1: The History and Philosophy of Western Psychology
Origins of Psychology as a Discipline
Western Influence on Psychology as a Secular ‘Science’
The Cultural Niche of Western Psychology
- Day 2: Defining Islamic Psychology
Differentiating between Islamic and Western psychology
The Islamic Paradigm/Worldview
The Role of Qur’an and Sunnah in guiding Muslims
Classical Sources of Islamic Psychology
Types of Approaches to Islamic Psychology
Why Islamic Psychologies Now?
- Day 3: Islamic Psychology: A historical perspective
Tour of Ottoman Health Museum
Islamic Conceptions of Health & Healing
Use of music therapy, architecture and aromatherapy in Ottoman mental health practices
- Day 4: An Islamic Model of the Self
An Islamic Model of the Self
Key Constituents of the Model
Dynamics of the Model in Applied Psychology
An Islamic understanding of mental health and ill health
Diagnosis: Distinguishing between different states
- Day 5: Diagnosis and Treatment
Role of the Therapist
The Toxic and the Useful in Western Therapies
Practical Clinical Applications of Islamic Approaches
Clinical Case Studies
Synthesis of Learning & Next Steps
Presentation of Certificates
- Day 6: Istanbul City Tour (Optional)
Location: Ottoman Military Museum; Istanbul
Kahvalti (traditional Turkish breakfast) at Mihri Restaurant
Topkapi Palace Holy Relics Room
Dhuhr prayer at Blue Mosque
Tour of Istanbul Military Museum
Mehter Band Performance ‘Discussion of use of music therapy in Ottoman civilization’
Night out in Istanbul